Just a bit of fun.
At the time of writing, listed below are the most popular Socialist Standard articles on the blog from a particular year. It stands to reason that the longer an article or review has been on the blog, the more 'hits' it has, but that is not always the case. Some articles of a more theoretical bent have received successive waves of hits years after they were originally posted on the blog. Hopefully that's food for thought for current writers and editors of the Standard. (Yes, I know I'm contradicting myself a bit here.)
To access the articles below, just click on the individual years.
- 1904: The Futility of Reform
- 1905: Ishmaelites
- 1906: "The Need for 'Intellectuals' "
- 1907: Riot and Revolution: Speech by Rosa Luxemburg on Trial for Inciting to Riot
- 1908: The People
- 1909: Sark!
- 1910: Remember Tonypandy!
- 1911: The Attempted Suppression of Free Speech in Islington.
- 1912: A Christian History
- 1913: First Steps In Socialism: Who Are the Working Class?
- 1914: Jottings.
- 1915: What is Patriotism? An Analysis
- 1916: Scrag-Ends
- 1917: "Ghosts"
- 1918: The Call
- 1919: What We Want
- 1920: Our New Year Message.
- 1921: The Wealthy Socialist
- 1922: The Collapse of Capitalism
- 1923: Socialism and the Fascisti
- 1924: Ramsay MacDonald's Attack on the Workers' Struggle Against Capital.
- 1925: Prohibition.
- 1926: Who wrote the Communist Manifesto of 1847?
- 1927: "The Recruiting Sergeant"
- 1928: Trotsky States His Case
- 1929: Another Life of Marx: Queues at Truth
- 1930: A Commentary on the Communist Manifesto
- 1931: The Founding of The Socialist Party
- 1932: Kreuger: A Product of His Time.
- 1933: Marx and Lenin - Distorted Views
- 1934: Bolshevism: Past and Present
- 1935: The Socialist Party of Australia: A Splendid Election Fight
- 1936: A Letter From Russia
- 1937: The Popular Front: A False Issue
- 1938: Why I Joined the S.P.G.B.
- 1939: Kautsky’s Work for Socialism
- 1940: How Henry Ford Smashes Trade Unions
- 1941: B.B.C. Boycott of Socialists
- 1942: Are Socialists Dreamers?
- 1943: The Barbary Coast
- 1944: The Scottish Workers' Congress: Curious Stuff from Glasgow
- 1945: By The Way: Juries are Wiser To-day
- 1946: The Labour Government's Prisons and Detention Barracks
- 1947: Gradualism and Revolution
- 1948: Money Will Go
- 1949: It's Laughable
- 1950: Passing Comments: China
- 1951: Reflections
- 1952: The New Tribune—but the same old story
- 1953: "I've always been respectable"
- 1954: The General Strike
- 1955: English Social Democratic Parties
- 1956: Anarchist Reformism
- 1957: Drum
- 1958: The Same Old I.L.P.
- 1959: Room At The Top
- 1960: Africa
- 1961: The Spectre Haunting Kruschev
- 1962: The Colossal Waste of Capitalism
- 1963: Branch News
- 1964: Michael Harrington's The Other America
- 1965: Christmas, past and present
- 1966: Open Letter to the War Resisters' International
- 1967: Obituary: W. Craske
- 1968: Prejudice and Pride
- 1969: Rosa Luxemburg and the Collapse of Capitalism
- 1970: Listen, Anarchist!
- 1971: Squaring the Circle
- 1972: A Tenth of Marx's 'Grundrisse'
- 1973: The Poison of Nationalism
- 1974: The way to deal with Fascism
- 1975: Spectacle out of focus
- 1976: Why I Joined the SPGB
- 1977: Free Speech: official cuts
- 1978: Against the Left (Part 3)
- 1979: Fighting the wrong class war
- 1980: Karl Marx and the abolition of money
- 1981: Ghost of Christmas Past
- 1982: Letter From Europe: Bordiga and the Idea of Socialism
- 1983: Japan: the courage of a few
- 1984: Guru on the spot
- 1985: Socialism and rock music
- 1986: Then and Now
- 1987: Socialism and Calculation
- 1988: Poorest of the poor?
- 1989: The Gorbachev cuts
- 1990: Morris and Revolution
- 1991: The Eileen Critchley Show
- 1992: Sting in the Tail: Labour Sees Stars
- 1993: Problem of sexism
- 1994: The Death of Marxism?
- 1995: What Future for Iraq?
- 1996: A striking example of mutiny
- 1997: Star Trek: First Contact
- 1998: The Curse of Xawara
- 1999: The Cult of Leadership
- 2000: John Ruskin, 1819-1900: A Socialist Perspective
- 2001: Who are the Socialist Alliance?
- 2002: The New Reformism
- 2003: Robert Tressell and the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
- 2004: Why Read Marx Today?
- 2005: Guevarian Ideology
- 2006: Driven From Eden? - Was the Neolithic Revolution entirely a good thing?
- 2007: Unvarnished History of the Panama Canal
- 2008: S-C-A-ISM minus O-I-L?
- 2009: Who’s afraid of the BNP?
- 2010: Tilting at windmills with a banjo
- 2011: Djanogly – One Of The Family
- 2012: Split
- 2013: Digging up the Dirt
- 2014: A Lack of Imagination
- 2015: Scarce Resources
- 2016: Dreaming of Ending Poverty
- 2017: MMT: New Theory, Old Illusion
- 2018: Space Oddity
- 2019: The Destruction of Nature: by Anton Pannekoek
- 2020: Liverpool Marxist Book Fair